If you're thinking about life insurances, chances are you have something worth protecting.
These days HIV or diabetes doesn't have to be a life sentence
But most insurance companies still treat you like it is.
People with pre-existing well‑managed complex health conditions have, up till now, been prevented from accessing quality Life Insurances and Income Protection cover, simply because of their conditions.
Explaining Life insurance cover
Life insurance (also called term life or death cover) is designed to protect against the financial impact of unexpected death and pay a specified amount of money to your beneficiaries, helping to make sure they’re looked after in the event should that occur.
- The benefit payout is either paid to the owner of the policy, your nominated beneficiaries or your estate.
- High quality life cover can also pay out upon diagnosis of a terminal illness in the final 24 months.
Most people don't know that over 30% of all Life Insurance payouts are made for terminal illness Drew Browne, Unusual Risks Insured
Practically speaking - don't leave your debt to people you love
Meet John and David: partnered and paying a large mortgage together.
David’s $1.5 million life insurance policy will make sure his partner John is cared for in the event of an unexpected death or terminal illness, and the amount of cover is sufficient to pay off the mortgage and provide funds to invest to help replace David's income too.
- After driving home from a work event, David is injured in a multi-vehicle car accident, suffering a heart attack and passed away.
- His life insurance payout meant his partner John could remain in the family home they’d renovated together, could pay off the remaining mortgage, could continue to live close to their established network of friends and family of choice in the community they had both contributed to and live the lifestyle they had designed together.
It allowed John to face an unexpected major life change with the backup of significant financial options.
Why you may need life cover
Expenses to protect could include:
- How much would be needed to pay off all your debt upon your unexpected death?
- How much would your surviving partner (and any dependents) need to pay living expenses?
- How much do children need to complete education and how will this be funded?
- If you passed away would you want your partner to need to downsize and move to a cheaper location or would you want to maintain stability for them and any children until they had completed their education while having a parent at home to look after them?
- And what are the practical cost for end of life expenses and how will this be funded?
Real Life Statistics
- 30% of all life cover claims are for terminal illness.
- 43,477 deaths were attributed to cardiovascular disease in Australia in 2017 and kills one Australian every 12 minutes. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare – Injury, June 2017
This is not just about getting a Life Insurance policy, this is a human rights issue.
We believe that every Australian should have equal access to high-quality Life Insurance products, no matter what their sexuality, gender, race, age or beliefs. We believe this is not just about getting Life Insurance, this is a human rights issue.
Life Insurance can help you be certain your loved ones are provided for; your child's educational needs are taken care of, and that your chosen family won't have to worry about their future if you’re not there to continue to protect and provide for them.
When does life insurance pay out?
Life insurance will normally pay out upon the death of the life insured and can help their dependants cope financially after you die.
Many people don't know that high quality life insurance can also pay out upon the diagnosis of a terminal illness in the remaining 24 months, as well making it a strong part of a backup plan.
A sad but all too common experience
Often, when a couple set up life insurance to protect each other, one person has their application accepted, but the other is refused because of a pre-existing health condition.
Both are left feeling that a wedge has been driven between them and that their needs and choices were not understood, honoured or valued.
At unUsualrisks.com.au our mission is to change this and be the change we want to see in the world.
Questions people ask about Life Insurance
Take a look at some quick questions people ask about Life Insurance.
Life Insurance 101
What is it?
The basic premise is simple:
- Life insurance gives you peace of mind while you're alive, and financial support for your loved ones when you're gone.
How it helps you
Life insurance can make a huge difference for you, your partner and your family, not just financially but emotionally, too.
What's the chance of needing it?
- There is a 1 in 10 chance of needing to claim for Life insurance or Terminal Illness.
Setting up a life insurance policy sooner, rather than later, will give you immediate security, more options and flexibility you'll need in the future.
Where to now?